What Do You Lot Think About The Odd Vendor Link?

Capitalist Pig

Yes, I’m A Cap­it­alist Pig. :-|

So, I keep getting emails from vendors of various sub­stances offering increasing amounts of cash for advert­ising on this site. To be per­fectly honest I could use a bit of extra cash since we’re saving up for a wedding. But, I’m not about to start advert­ising without asking your opin­ions first.

Here’s what I propose for the best outcome for us all. On indi­vidual pages, such as Mephed­rone:
The Facts
and JWH-​​018 Tox­ic­o­logy, for example, I was thinking of including a single link to a single vendor, clearly marked out as an advert. Then, I’d be happy for people to email me with any bad feed­back on those vendors, and we could get rid of the link together and wait for a better vendor to come along.

That way, there’s no hidden spammy links or oth­er­wise tricking people into vis­iting a vendor’s site. It would be com­pletely trans­parent and you lot all all get some say.

So what do you think? Love it? Hate it? Got a sug­ges­tion to improve the idea for everyone? Plz leave a comment!!1

By the way, if you hate it, I’ll have to look at other options, like a “Donate” button next to every awesome joke. Like that side-​​splitter below the image above. Or, how about this one:

Why did the mush­room go to the party?

Because he was a fungi.

Or this one:

A load of sci­ent­ists are playing hide & seek in heaven. Einstein’s on and has nearly fin­ished counting. 98. 99. 100. He opens his eyes and sees Newton standing there in plain view. Ein­stein imme­di­ately tags Newton — “Got you, you sociopathic alchem­ical bastard!”

“Not quite!” exclaims Newton. A smug grin starts to emerge. “You see, I’ve drawn a box around me on the floor who’s sides are of length one metre”.

“You’ve actu­ally got one Newton per meter squared, so Pascal’s on!

Ho ho ho!

Quick edit: Thinking about it, a donate button might be another great way to benefit a few more people other than myself (not that I need your money to spend hun­dreds of pounds on several pairs of shoes for our wedding…). How about a single donate button down the bottom of the right hand side, but then we’ll give say 20% of each dona­tion to charity, or at least a worth­while organ­isa­tion. 10% could be given to one of your choice from a select few and 10% could be given to one of my chosing, again from those select few. Some that spring to mind include Erowid, Drugs Forum or the Richard Dawkins Found­a­tion For Reason & Science (very much like the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can’t Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too).

Quick Edit #2: Perhaps we could earn a few dona­tions… Like writing “[Your name] does drugz lolmayo!” in the sand of the Domin­ican Republic and taking a picture of us next to it. (Yes, we’re going there for our hon­ey­moon…). We could even get those pix printed out on a mug or some­thing for anyone par­tic­u­larly generous.

Other silly ideas welcome.

12 Responses to What Do You Lot Think About The Odd Vendor Link?

1. Kris says:

Sounds like a good idea to me. You make a bit of extra cash and hope­fully through people’s feed­back on the vendors we’ll get info on the best places to buy. With full trans­par­ency I can’t see it being a bad thing, I’m all for it.

2. Kris says:

With response to the updates: I’d say do both, that way if people wanna con­tribute without buying any­thing they can, and it bene­fits other causes but you can still benefit from what people are going to buy anyway and we can still get some vendor feedback.

3. Overfiend says:

Regarding Vendor links.….…Sure why the hell not. It could indeed be a pos­itive thing for the site.
    As far as people already using the site are con­cerned, if handled respons­ibly with honesty, open­ness and Impar­ti­ality, it should serve to make the site even more popular and invalu­able for our daily inform­a­tion fix, ;) and of course there is a wedding to plan :P so I say go for it.
    I’ve used a few sites via telephone/​mail order to Northern Ireland (Home) and will be happy to give some feed­back on a couple.

4. Dexter says:

Yes I don’t see any problem with it. Espe­cially the part about making sure it is an honest busi­ness that is open for review by all. I wouldn’t over do it though, like you said maybe just one good link.

5. PoisonedV says:

Seems fine to me, not intrusive or any­thing. Can’t say it would sway me, however, I’ve got a JWH vendor that I love dearly.

6. Jack says:

Con­grats on getting married :)

7. Rex Mundi says:

good idea BUT other vendors might start to dis­credit each other to stifle com­pei­tion, etc. Should have a bunch of trusted mod­er­ators to test…i would be happy to help!

Thanks for the support so far, very encouraging.

Rex, you’re right. I’ve been thinking about how to stop vendors bitching about each other since I wrote the post. Perhaps I could contact a few select vendors emailed to me by you guys?

I don’t think this will ever be 100% perfect, but we’ll get pretty close, I reckon.

9. Rush says:

Great idea, i wouldn’t mind a few adverts as long as they are not huge banners. If they are shops, then all green lights here :)

10. Mrs_Synch says:

I may have (nay, NEED) several pairs of shoes for the wedding but a certain someone will be spending more on his suit than I did on my dress — we need dona­tions for John’s expensive taste!

Thanks for the input all, hope­fully you’ll see a bit more of me around here soon once the wedding stuff’s sorted. We’ve had lots of dis­asters lately but it’s all finally coming together. Hope­fully the two weeks in the Carib­bean will make it all worth it (ahem…and being married, of course) and we’ll have some sweet pic­tures to show you all.

11. Tim says:

Pic­tures are good! Stay safe out there on the beach, and don’t have TOO MUCH fun, eh?

An update on my getting the Syn​chronium​.net tattoo done on my leg — it’s still in the upcoming stage. Will be prac­ti­cing my tech­nique some more on the upper thigh tonite, and be ready for the more public advert soon after. It’s like a wedding present to y’all! Pic­tures and videos will accompany!

John’s deserving of a lot of credit for what goes on/​is hap­pening around here — and I’m happy to see it’ll soon be more of a joint effort in the sort of near future. Best of luck to you both…

If I could get YOUR name, young lady, I might con­sider tat­tooing both your names and wedding date in a banner with a heart or some­thing, some­where? What could it hurt?

Nice one Tim! :D

While I might write most of the stuff on here, that’s only because Jo handles the even more important tasks of cooking and washing my pants. If she didn’t work tire­lessly looking after me, there’d be no blog whatsoever!

It’s the 29th May, btw.