How To Use Salvia Divinorum

This guide is by no means a com­plete ref­er­ence for any would-​​be Salvia divinorum user. It simply describes, com­pares and con­trasts the dif­ferent methods by which one can exper­i­ence the effects of Salvia Divinorum. There are other factors which must first be taken into con­sid­er­a­tion before you should embark on your journey with salvia: don’t take too much. Start off with smaller doses first and get com­fort­able with the exper­i­ence, then maybe later, increase that dose slightly. Never jump in at the deep end — it could put you off salvia for a long time. Also, espe­cially if it’s your first time with salvia, or the first time you’ve increased your dose, make sure you have someone sober nearby making sure nothing bad happens. With that warning out of the way, here we go!

The "Mazatec Oldskool" Method

Tra­di­tion­ally, the Mazatec people, indi­genous to the Oaxaca region of Mexico where Salvia divinorum was first found, used to use salvia as part of their sham­anic prac­tices. It is believed they used to grind up large quant­ities of Salvia divinorum leaf, which was then added to water and drank. This method leaves a lot to be desired. We know now that salvinorin-​​a, the active chem­ical in Salvia divinorum is not very readily absorbed through the stomach, so large quant­ities of leaf must be used. It also doesn’t taste par­tic­u­larly fant­astic. These draw­backs are countered by the fact that the effects from the salvia last much longer than any other method out­lined here. The Mazatecs also used to chew fresh leaf for long periods of time, which is still quite popular today. See the Quid method for more details.

Pros:

• Safe
  • Doesn’t harm the lungs
  • Longer lasting effects

Cons:

• Inef­fi­cient — lots of leaves required for desired effect
  • Tastes hor­rible

Smoking Leaf

Salvia Divinorum LeafSmoking salvia leaf can be effective, but it’s not ideal for non-​​smokers. The active chem­ical in Salvia divinorum, salvinorin-​​a, requires a high tem­per­ature to vaporise, so the leaf should be smoked through a pipe or bong rather than rolled as a cigar­ette. When smoking the leaf through a pipe or bong, you should try and use a torch lighter if pos­sible. The extra heat gen­er­ated by the torch flame will vaporise more of the salvinorin-​​a per hit com­pared with a regular lighter. That said, many users have reported a more relaxed mood shift when smoked as a cigar­ette, and a more “trippy” high when using it to replace tobacco in a can­nabis joint. It’s gen­er­ally con­sidered harder to achieve the full effects of Salvia divinorum when smoking only leaf, com­pared with the stronger extracts. This is because the salvinorin-​​a from the leaf is meta­bol­ised by the body rather quickly, so smoking more over a longer dur­a­tion will only main­tain the level of trip, rather than enhan­cing it. To get the most from this method, it is advised that you take two to three hits from the pipe or bong, each time holding your breath for as long as you can, exceeding 30 seconds if pos­sible. The effects will be notice­able after about one minute, giving you up to about three hits before you should put the pipe or bong down. The effects will remain for up to about half an hour.

Pros:

• Quick
  • Easy
  • No bad taste
  • Rel­at­ively safe — It’s quite hard to get too much salvinorin-​​a into your body from smoking only leaf

Cons:

• Hard to achieve effects
  • Smoking any­thing is never good for your lungs
  • Harsh on the throat/​lungs — the smoke is very hot
  • Short effect duration

Smoking Extract

Salvia Divinorum ExtractSalvia divinorum extracts are quite simply salvia leaf with a lot more kick. Extracts are pre­pared by taking the salvinorin-​​a from a large quantity of leaf and depos­iting it back onto a much smaller quantity of leaf. For example, one gram of 20x extract is, give or take, one gram of salvia leaf, with the salvinorin-​​a of 20g of leaf added to it. To visu­alise it, imagine filling your bowl with 20x the amount of normal leaf, and smoking it all. For more inform­a­tion on the extracting process, you might like this article: How To Make Salvia divinorum Extract. This method ensures you get enough salvinorin-​​a into your body as soon as pos­sible, opening up the deeper levels of the salvia exper­i­ence. Unfor­tu­nately, due to the strength of some extracts, it can be hard to accur­ately measure out a correct dose, so you could end up taking in far more than you intended. The extract should also be smoked in a pipe or bong.

Pros:

• Effects are very easy to achieve
  • Less material needs to be smoked com­pared to leaf for the same effects

Cons:

• Short effect duration
  • Easy to take too much
  • Smoking any­thing is never good for your lungs
  • Harsh on the throat/​lungs — the smoke is very hot

The Quid Method

A “quid” is basic­ally a big wad of leaves. Fresh leaves, if pos­sible, but dry leaves can be used too. If the leaves are dry, immerse them in a cup of warm water for about a minute before you wish to begin — this step is essen­tial, oth­er­wise you’ll be chewing on dry leaf, which will taste just plain dis­gusting. Take about ten to fifteen fresh or soaked leaves, roll them up into a ball and pop the ball, or quid, into your mouth. Now all you have to do is chew those awful tasting leaves for a good fifteen to thirty minutes. Sounds easy? Well, you have to do it swal­lowing as little saliva as pos­sible. This method works by a process called “sub­lin­gual absorp­tion”: the salvinorin-​​a is absorbed into your blood through the mouth, so the quid needs to stay in your mouth for as long as pos­sible. After the time is up, you should begin to feel the effects, although rather subtly com­pared to smoking the leaf or extract. You can now either spit out the con­tents of your mouth, or swallow it. Swal­lowing it can be a ghastly exper­i­ence, but it’s recom­mended, since any remaining salvinorin-​​a in your saliva or the leaf will even­tu­ally get absorbed through your stomach. Just like the “Mazatec Old­skool” method, the effects last longer than smoking.

Pros:

• Safe
  • Doesn’t harm the lungs

Cons:

• Tastes hor­rible
  • Takes longer for the effects to set in
  • Can be harder to obtain full effects

Salvinorin Tincture

Salvia Divinorum TinctureSalvinorin tinc­ture works in the same way as the quid method: sub­lin­gual absorp­tion. That is, you let the liquid sit in your mouth for 15 to 30 minutes, allowing the salvinorin-​​a to diffuse into your blood through your mouth. The tinc­ture itself is an alcohol-​​based solu­tion of salvinorin-​​a, meaning doses can be meas­ured more accur­ately by diluting it, and it doesn’t taste nearly as bad. The effects are also brought about much faster.

Pros:

• Quick
  • Easy
  • Rel­at­ively safe
  • Tastes nicer than quid method
  • Doesn’t harm the lungs

Cons:

• If the tinc­ture is not diluted enough, it can burn the mouth

Conclusions

Many people report a variety of dif­ferent effects from each method, from nothing at all, to a full-​​blown shit-​​your-​​pants trip. Non-​​smokers will nat­ur­ally prefer the oral methods, while smokers would nat­ur­ally be more com­fort­able smoking the leaf or extract. It’s also not unheard of for people to combine two or more of the above methods to achieve a greater effect than either on their own.

8 Responses to How To Use Salvia Divinorum

1. DataStream says:

Hi, I just want to ask if I can use The Quid Method for leaves with extract x5, x10 added? Would it taste even more bad?

2. avorysixx says:

this website is so awesome well that’s what i think
    and is there a x100
    cause i only tried the x20 about six times

3. Bill says:

I’ve been fol­lowing a spir­itual path all of my life. I have had numer­ious out of body exper­i­ences of many types. My first use was not recomended the way I did it, however, I hit very hard 20x, just one hit. I became hyper sens­itive of my brain and spine, (centeral ner­vious system) I spent the next 7 or 10 min. 18 to 20 inches in front of my central nervous system. I could move my body just fine, but I was always where my body used to be. Very cool, but this could really freak out a person not fam­ilier with this separation.

4. scott says:

i took x60 for my first time through a bong and it fucked me up good tho

5. Waffa says:

Thank You for the website.
    Would be nice if one could “rate ‘off’ ” childish com­ments from the ones who feel the urge to comment about the plants or drugs Before they under­stood what they used and how/​why it should be used (if at all). Or maybe these com­ments are just pro­voca­tions by DEA ideo­logy fan club to shape the image? Many ways..
    anyway…This would help to keep the website comment aria more inform­ative and would not scare off the ones who are inter­ested about self devel­op­ment and spir­itu­ality and others who decide by com­ments “what kind of people” use this information

6. Paul says:

I studied a lot of what people said before trying it for the first time, some of the trip stories made me extremely wary but i had to try it, last year i had a major oper­a­tion and now have steel rods and screws in my neck and spine, i have a disease of my discs which caused some of my vert­abrae to fuse so fast that they squashed out­wards and were SCRAPING against my spinal cord in 4 places, i have incred­ible pain 24 hours a day and take 11 dif­ferent med­ic­a­tion everyday, much of which is com­pletely useless including morphine, so i started looking for altern­at­ives to dis­tract my brain from the unbear­able pain, i first bought some Damiana leaf to help with the depres­sion that my pain brings, wow! it works, i have not taken any Anti– Depress­ants for the last 3 weeks, everyone has men­tioned how much happier i have been and my emo­tions have started to come back were as before i would not laugh or cry, now i am in stitches at the slightest funny thing, there is a chance it could be a placebo affect and i could come crashing down any day now– but i don,t think so, then i bought Salvia, pure extract x20 ini­tially i tried smoking little bits of it to get my body as used to it as pos­sible (i have never taken any­thing like this before) then this Sat­urday i thought come on Paul stop being a chicken, so i turned off my phones and TV, closed all the cur­tains and removed any clutter as advised by several web­sites but i did not have a sitter nor did i want one, i put a small amount of tobacco in the bong to stop the salvia falling through then added the salvia, i have never used a bong before either and was not sure if i did it cor­rectly, anyway i sat on the couch and lit the bong, i got it going with a couple of puffs on the bong then let go of the hole and milked what was in the bong, i imme­di­ately felt as though a million needles were being stuck into me at the same time all over my body, at this point i shouted “oh shit” and told myself i need to be upstairs, rushing upstairs cradling the bong and my lighter i bounced off the stairs and the walls in my bedroom, i managed to sit on the end of the bed and quickly lit the bong again and took another blast, everything started to melt, i tried to light the bong a third time but as i did to my right i thought i saw a tunnel coming towards me and i was telling myself i HAD to light it again before this thing got me, i later real­ized it was my right arm, it also seemed like it was turning into jelly or melting fabric starting to envelope me, again i remember saying ” oh my God, oh my God, oh my God” it was then that i real­ized i MUST lie down NOW, i just managed to get under the bed­clothes as the melting fabric totally covered me and kept going, my whole body was tingling but the left side seemed more normal, the right side however seemed to be taken over, it was not a bad feeling really just unex­pected, but and this is the most important for me; there was no pain, then i heard a pigeon cooing and knew it was over, it seemed like it only lasted 2 minutes but as i slowly got up and walked back down­stairs i soon found out it was not the case, before going upstairs i had been watching the Cham­pions League Final and the first half clock showed 30 minutes had passed, on returning to the TV the clock now said that it was 66 minutes in the SECOND half not including the 20 minute break they have at the end of the first half, that 2 minutes had actu­ally been at least 50 minutes WOW!- I have a ques­tion; when i studied this before trying it i read several recom­mend­a­tions which stated that with a bong take 5 blasts but i don,t know how you would achieve this, i managed 2 before it got me although i tried my hardest to light it a third time but could not, have i done everything cor­rectly? and if not could someone give me a tip of how to get more blasts before it over­takes me please, cheers guys Paul.

7. kave says:

OW GOD…I TRY 60X just yesterday…it was awesome…its com­pletly new experiment.…wOoOw :)

8. the one who got away says:

Yeah, I love salvia!!!!!!